Skip to main content

Getting Synergy (Windows Server) to work with a dual screen Ubuntu Synergy Client

Today I had a hard time after I tried to change my synergy solution.
Before I had a WindowsXP-Ubuntu solution where 2 monitors where on the XP machine that acted as the synergy server and one monitor on the ubuntu machine. I now decided to move one of the monitors to ubuntu (for display-quality reasons).

At first i had a hard time getting my Ubuntu Hardy Heron to work with 2 screens and I took some wrong turns but I finally found my solution:
There are already many tutorials on the net, and luckily my Ubuntu machine has an nvidia card inside which made things easier:
Here is what worked for me:
I installed nvidia-settings application via classic
sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

and then ran it with sudo. Here I activated my second screen which is running now.

Hooray dual-screen usage! But unfortunately Synergy did not work properly anymore.
Synergy switches screens between my first ubuntu screen and my XP screen, but it cant reach the SECOND ubuntu screen.

when using the "--display" option with synergyc program, I could convince synergy to use the second ubuntu screen, but then the first ubuntu screen would not be reachable....

I then tried to use the (optional) Xinerama support in the nvidia X-Server Settings, but when doing this synergy skipped half of my first ubuntu screen and immediately stepped to the second ubuntu screen.

I took a deeper look into the synergy documentation and finally found my solution:
using the (optional) Xinerama support in nvidia with an exotic synergy option!

at first, I checked the "enable xinerama" checkbox in the nvidia-settings program. Then I manually changed the config file of my windows synergy server. You can find that config file by pressing the "Info" button in the Synergy Server application.
In that file I added the option
xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
in the "Screen" section under the name of my ubuntu machine.

Finally all screens work!

I am pretty sure this description can help some guys to get their system running. Good luck for you :)

Comments