Skip to main content

Prequel battle to the "A Corner of Mantica battle" campaign

It is finaly time to play my campaign!


My opponent is a teacher and now has some more spare time in summer. We agreed to play the campaign, me of course leading the goblins. (Actually I also would have enjoyed the elves, but he is an Elf fan).
We agreed to make one test match prior to starting the campaign in order to get a feel what troops we should get for our campaign roster.
I clashed with him two times before and to my suprise he beat me both times. One fight was Undead (me) vs. Forces of Nature (him), I think. The second game I do not remember, but I know he played elves again.
So this time I was determined to play better!

We met yesterday after I had prepared my standard goblin list that I use against the abyssals. He played more or less with the same list like last time when he faced my undead (which he crushed).

My list (old goblin rules!):
* 4 Spitters
* 4 Luggit
* 1 Troll with Rare Blade of Slashing
* 1 Wiz with Lucky Charm and healing bandages
* 1 Biggit with Rare Mount & Heavy Weapon
* 1 Rubble (Spear)



His List:
* 3 Archers
* 1 Levy
* 1 Shambler
* 3 Tallspears
* 1 Wizard
* 1 Prince




First we had the list, then we rolled for the scenario. I rolled "Capture the Giant", but since I did not bring my Giant with me and its not yet painted, we re-rolled. Then Scenario 2: Light the Beacon came up, which would have meant that the defender needed to re-choose his list as he only has 175 pts. Therefore we rolled again and came to "Capture the princess". Another die roll later we knew, I was the defender.
Goblins having captured an Elven princess that the elven vanguard now has to free. Fitting!


After deployment
He positioned himself mostly on my left flank. I put two spitters left and right (they have the scout rule). Apart from that I was lacking a real strategy. My thought was to let him come in close and then kill him off...



He had the first turn but first we rolled for power. I got extremely lucky as you can see...

One lucky dice roll for me!
 


Then the first round commenced. I was immediately reminded that playing against elves is VERY different from playing against Abyssals when he instantly sniped off two of my spitters! 

My spitter in the middle was immediately killed



He was reluctant to move any closer and feared that I would charge him. But after seeing how fast my Goblins died to his Archers and Spellcaster I got a bit uneasy just sitting back at the objective. 
When he was finally finished with elaborating his next moves and decided to move up his Shambler, I decided to attack! After all, I knew my Troll, combined with a Rabble with Spear and my Biggit buffed with his Mount and Heavy Weapon could do some nasty damage! Even more so with the Wiz being able to remove one activation. 
I think that decision cost me the game... 

The shambler goes in all alone. I decide to charge!
The princess has the best view of the drama unfolding



Unfortunately the shambler is very hard to kill. He keeps my best units bogged down while the battle around them unfolds. Its turn two and I already get charged near the princess... which catches me quite by surprise. The speed of the elves is astonishing! He runs forward and fatigues to get into melee with some of my units. His archers move forward, putting devastation into my lines. 



His archer takes a shot at the Wiz
The Wiz has a bad armor, but an amazing nerve of 3! During the game my Spellcaster gets mortally wounded many times, but stands up again and again thanks to nerve 3 and inspiring. The Healing Herbs I gave him also helped. 

The enemy prince and one tallspear take the already mentioned "Run plus Walk via Fatigue" action and take my Wiz by suprise. Like a miracle my Wiz survives.



I have a decision to make. I could forsake the Wiz. But I have three luggits guarding the princess. I could charge the Prince in the back and the Tallspear in the back as well. If he retaliates at the charging units, I can run away with the Wiz without risking the free "attack". I go for it. 

Unfortunately we played the "6th Sense" skill wrong that the Prince has. Because usually, charging in the back with 2 Luggits would be quite devastating: 8d8 with Sneaky, meaning dice exploding on 7s or 8s...  even with the elven rule that forces me to reroll one of my dice this can be deadly. Unfortunately we interpreted the 6th sense rule of the prince wrong when we think it nullifies the charge in the back and thus the sneaky... but actually it should have worked! 6th Sense only helps in case you are not enganged, but the prince was actually already engaged with the wiz. 
My attack fails completely, but i at least can move away with the Wiz. 

They get closer... 


In the front: 2 of my luggits ordered to rescue the Wiz from the attack of the Prince. In the back on the right you can see the Shambler still being pounded by the Biggit and the Troll. The  Rabble supporting them was already sniped by the deadly archers. 

Round 3 begins... my luck breaks...


Well, with one power point I do not have much wiggle room! I later realize I may reroll a die and end up with two power points, but still... my enemy is again at 7 power points in comparison. Here we made another mistake... he of course always uses his elven special power ability to force me to reroll one of the dice i hit him with on each attack. but we only make him pay 2 power points. oh well, lesson learned for next time. its actually 3 power points!

This round everything goes south. My wiz escapes and I finally kill the shambler, but I decide to move up with my Biggit to shield a lowly spitter from being sniped. And immediately my unwounded biggit gets killed by combined fire of the Elven Wizard and an archer! Those archers are really deadly! My Luggits that came to the rescue of the Wiz both get taken down by the Prince. The Wiz that escaped the Prince gets shot by the elven archers. Once again I get a down-but-not-out result.  




I get dangerously close to breaking. With that and my Biggit gone, my hopes of winning get quite slim. Unless I can tie him down...
Round 4 sees me breaking, but my heroic goblins all stay and fight! Well... the ones that are still alive that is...

But it does not help. The elves advance and secure the princes with beginning of round 5. Even my Troll finally goes down. If I remember correctly it gets shot down by the deadly archers. My wiz gets charged by another archer and finally dies. 

The elves cut the princess free


I have 2 Goblins standing. One Luggit is duelling for the longest time on my left. The other one rushed back from the right flank to the princess... but no chance against those overwhelming numbers.





That was the game! Well, what shall I say.... very different from the games against Dwarves and Abyssals that I did lately. I forgot how deadly those elves are. The spitters are absolutely wasted against this race. I need to come up with a different tactic. Their superior mobility gives me headaches too, he can just stand back and shoot. With his 3 Archers I am pretty sure he can even kill off my troll in one go if he does his group shoot. Fighting him in the campaign will be tricky. I am thinking about bringing some Luggits on mounts. I am not yet sure about bringing mawbeasts instead of just those luggits on mounts, I think mawbeasts are quite expensive and a bit squishy... we will see. 
Apart from that I also learned not to charge his Shambler. He is really a formidable foe! He took so much beating until he went down... I need to focus on other enemies and ignore the shambler until it only has one health left.

The game took quite a few hours, but for my opponent it was also the first game since the beta rules if i recall correctly. PLUS he likes to think quite a while. 
Next time we meet we will assemble our Vanguard Companies and supply train! In about two weeks we will then play our first campaign game. We are both very exited already!

Comments